- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons package active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 10 cups water
- 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water
- Toppings: Salt + Pepper, Sesame Seeds, etc…
- Combine warm water, sugar, salt in a bowl but don’t mix it.
- Add the dry yeast to the top of the water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the flour and butter. Continue to mix until the dough comes together.
- For the next 7-10 minutes you will be working your arm muscles. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until the rough wheat flour turns soft and pliable in your magical hands.
- In a bowl coated with oil, plop in your dough and let sit for an hour so it can double in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Heat your water until it boils.
- Separate your dough into equal parts. Roll into a ball. Make a hole in the middle and gently roll out until it’s bagel shaped.
- Place on piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil with a bit of oil.
- Boil each bagel for 30 seconds. Brush with egg wash. Add your toppings.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Recipe Source: Lovely Little Kitchen