The east sea has beautiful blue water and sandy beaches. Our trip was very quick and the days were mostly overcast. But, the peace of being away from Seoul made the trip to sleepy Donghae worth the bus ride out there.
where to stay
We booked a room at the Hyunjin Tourist Hotel.
- It was spacious, clean and has lovely staff. This was a picture of our view from the room. It was about a block from the quiet and calm Hanseomhaean Beach. It’s a block a different way to many restaurants and stores.
- They could not find my reservation so we were upgraded. Terrific end to a moment of panic.
- I booked through Agoda here.
what to do
Besides the beach, in particular, Mangsang Beach, there are actually several things to do in this small coastal city.
- Sea Train: take a ride up and down the east coast to see great views, drink a beer and listen to music
- Cheongok Cave: a large, cavernous limestone cave in the middle of the ctiy
- Mokho Harbor: Catch a ferry at Mokho port and see the famously contentious Dokdo Island.
- Other attractions by popularity
- Donghae Tour Map PDF: Map to show you around
where to eat
- Head to Mokho Port for some scenery and “Sushi Street.” You can find many places along the way to eat fresh seafood and whiff fresh seafood.
to get there
- From Seoul: From Express Bus Terminal to Donghae Express Bus Terminal (동해고속버스터미널). Takes about 3 hours.
The weather is warming up again! How about a quick weekend break to a beautiful place that is calm and quaint?