The most taxing part of making this little sandwich is chopping up the real salmon, which is harder than it looks, even with a sharp knife. You really need to chop it up so its has the texture of regular ground meat. A food processor might be the way to go, but alas, I do not have one.
Using real salmon, as opposed to the canned salmon, makes you look like you know what you’re doing in the kitchen… and makes it more moist and less fishy.
The real star of the show is the avocado cream to top it with. Is there anything nicer than a giant dollop of green avocado? Nope! Don’t try to think of one. It helps keep the fish moist and adds a citrus depth. And it’s so preeeety.
NOTES: This recipe makes about 3 medium sized burgers but you can add more or less to your liking. A toasted bun never hurt anyone and adds some crunch. The more avocado and cilantro the better. Don’t over salt your burgers, I omitted salt because of other ingredients! Don’t stick to this recipe like a Bible…go crazy with ingredients you prefer.
Ingredients for the Burger
- 1 full cup chopped salmon (1 large fillet)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs mayonnaise
- 1.5 Tbs whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbs chopped capers
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup panko
- Pepper to taste (between the mustard and capers, you probably don’t want more salt)
- Oil for frying
Ingredients for the Avocado Cream
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs water
- Juice of 1/2 a lime (medium)
- A Tbs or so of fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
Directions for the Burgers
- Mix all your salmon ingredients in the bowl until well incorporated.
- Form into patties and let sit in the fridge for at least a half hour to firm (I did mine overnight).
- On medium to high heat, add oil and fry each patty a few minutes on each side. They will cook quick so don’t take your eyes off of them to go watch Netflix for a few minutes. Let rest a few minutes before eating.
Directions for the Avocado Cream
- Add all of your ingredients into the blender. Turn on high (or smoothie) for a few minutes until nice and creamy.
- So easy even
couch potatoesNetflix watchers worldwide can make it!
Visit my Facebook Page. Stay on top of all my updates.
Visit my Pinterest Page. The most awesome thing about me may be my electronic hoarding.
Visit me on Instagram. If you like cat and food pics.