Yeah. It’s not so hard. That’s the main thought I had while concocting this kitchen experiment. It is just a few main ingredients, some optional add ins for flavor and there you have it, your own spinach tortillas that are not infused with chemicals and preservatives (same same). And, dare I say it, they are so much better. Like so much better, you guys. I often make my own tortilla shells with this recipe here…so this is just a little spin on it!
- 3 1/2 cups flour plus extra for dusting while rolling them out
- 1 cup of spinach, sauteed until most of the water is gone and pulsed in a blender for a few minutes, (don’t liquefy it!)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp cumin*
- 1 tsp garlic salt*
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper*
*optional (but awesome)
- In a bowl, combine your flour and veggie oil until the oil makes little beads throughout.
- Add your salt, baking powder, cumin, garlic salt, cayenne pepper and spinach. Blend very well until all the spinach is covered in flour.
- Add hot water and form into a ball, like you would bread, and let it sit in the bowl for at least 30 minutes. NOTE: The amount of water you need will depend on how wet your spinach is. Mine was not that wet so I used almost all the water in the cup. Just add a bit at a time, mix, and decide if it needs more.
- Drop your dough onto a floured surface, flour your rolling pin and cut your dough into 10-12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and roll out. (I would flipping kill for a tortilla press at this point. Look at those weird shapes!! Gah! At least it all tastes the same.) This is when you’ll need all that extra flour. They are sticky suckers.
- Fry in a pan (no oil required, remember its in the dough!) until browned on each side.
- Hola! Eat that!