On the weekends, New Year’s resolution or no resolution, I need hearty breakfasts. I don’t need a lot of creams, cheese or meat but I do need protein AND carbs. Corncakes are so amazing for breakfast. They can be sweet or savory and with a little butter they just glide into your stomach. I managed to eat healthy but still felt glutinous. My favorite combination.
You can really lush these corncakes up with more ingredients ( I just used what I had ). Adding corn, green onions, peppers, etc., to the batter can really up the ante here. Have fun, go crazy, kids!
Ingredients for Corncakes ( makes about 10 )
- 1/2 cup of corn meal
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup soy or almond milk
- salt + pepper to taste
- vegan butter, enough to slather on each cake
- oil for frying
- One egg per person
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 king oyster mushrooms, sliced long ways
- 5 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Add broccoli, mushrooms and garlic to a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until nice and toasty brown.
- While vegetables are roasting, mix all your corncake ingredients together and let sit for five minutes. Heat frying pan and add cooking oil. Fry up all that batter goodness a 1/2 cup at a time. Spread vegan butter on each cake when done.
- Afterwards, cook your eggs to order.
- Once vegetables are done, add them, your cakes and your egg to a plate.